NONCONTROLLING INTERESTS IN SUBSIDIARIES
In May 2007, we entered into an agreement with Godrej Beverages and Foods, Ltd., a consumer goods, confectionery and food company, to manufacture and distribute confectionery products, snacks and beverages across India. Under the agreement, we owned a 51% controlling interest in Godrej Hershey Ltd. The noncontrolling interests in Godrej Hershey Ltd. were included in the equity section of the Consolidated Balance Sheets. In September 2012, we acquired the remaining 49% interest in Godrej Hershey Ltd. for approximately $15.8 million. Since the Company had a controlling interest in Godrej Hershey Ltd., the difference between the amount paid and the carrying amount of the noncontrolling interest of $10.3 million was recorded as a reduction to additional paid-in capital and the noncontrolling interest in Godrej Hershey Ltd. was eliminated as of September 30, 2012.
We own a 51% controlling interest in Hershey do Brasil under a cooperative agreement with Pandurata Netherlands B.V. (“Bauducco”), a leading manufacturer of baked goods in Brazil whose primary brand is Bauducco. In both 2013 and 2012, the Company contributed cash of approximately $3.1 million to Hershey do Brasil and Bauducco contributed approximately $2.9 million. The noncontrolling interest in Hershey do Brasil is included in the equity section of the Consolidated Balance Sheets.
The decrease in noncontrolling interests in subsidiaries from $11.6 million as of December 31, 2012 to $11.2 million as of December 31, 2013 reflected the impact of the noncontrolling interests’ share of losses of these entities and currency translation adjustments, partially offset by the impact of the cash contributed by Bauducco. The share of losses pertaining to the noncontrolling interests in subsidiaries was $1.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, $9.6 million for the year ended December 31, 2012 and $7.4 million for the year ended December 31, 2011. This was reflected in selling, marketing and administrative expenses.